i Use and Thoroughly Endorse this Program!

Friday, October 23, 2009

What's Your Most Effective Weight Loss Experience? Diet Versus Exercise.

Like it or not we are a society obsessed by body image. The glossy magazines would be pretty empty if dieting went out of fashion. I've covered the craziness of the dieting industry previously on my Life Matters blog site, this article however is more about the results that you've had over the years.


Let's forget about the celebrity pseudo diets or steroid fueled action star experiences, what actually works?


Incase it needs stating, this is a Blog not a medical journal, and my comments are based essentially on my own research, and incidentally I've rarely encountered a middle aged medic whose physical well being made me envious! Hence my reluctance to follow their dietary advice.


Here's a categorical, unambiguous statement that I am 100% convinced is true and it relates to the biggest mistake that most weight loss enthusiasts make. Are you ready!


Diet is Ten Times More Effective than Exercise


Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest advocates for the benefits of exercise you'll ever meet. For stress relief, strength and conditioning, heart and lung function, and for some pleasure. But, unless you're a navy seal or triathlete, it's of marginal benefit to your goal of losing more than a few grams. More than likely your 5k walk around the block will stimulate your appetite and one measly slice of toast later, and all the good work's  undone.


All things being equal it's what you eat that matters. Obviously if you are a slob by nature versus someone who is naturally active, by default your base weight will be higher.


If you're under 25 you have the benefit of a faster metabolism and if you are a gym junkie, your muscle mass will ensure that you don't need to be worried. As you get older nature becomes a cruel master!


I'm a gym advocate, by choice. 40 minutes a session 3 times a week. I lift heavy, with short recovery and thoroughly enjoy it, which has ensured I could get away with eating more than my share of biscuits, and drinking a few Guinnesses without being too paranoid about obesity.


6 months ago however as I approached 100k's it occurred to me that it wasn't all muscle mass and my waist was moving past 36 inches. It was time to take action. 7 weeks later I had dropped 10k's was back to a 32 inch waist (first time in about 10 years) without losing any strength in the gym.


What's amazing is that it just wasn't hard. Not complicated, and didn't involve protein shakes, pills, or ANY additional exercise.

My experience has been that there are 3 main keys to sustainable weight control.

  • Reduce Carbohydrates especially Simple Carbs (ie sugar) but also Pastas and Pizzas and foods laden with sauces.
  • Eat smaller more frequent meals.
  • Embrace hunger occasionally.
This won't sell many diet or cook books but I guarantee absolutely works and is sustainable.


I think you'll struggle if you label diet as an ordeal that you must go through, which is why I'm dubious of dramatic detox diets. I stand to be corrected but everything I read suggests it's all nonsense, unless you have kidney and renal failure.


Eating large meals and continually grazing all day on, apples and chocolate, and sweets and nuts is simply a habit. like most things in life I believe if you just make a DECISION, that's it. It's time to make some changes, change your mindset, stop talking about your diet, just embrace and enjoy the experience, (and yes even temporary hunger pangs can be enjoyable, feedback that you're making changes), then when you do go out have a great meal and bottle or two of wine, it doesn't really matter.


I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. This is simply my experience. What works best for you and has it been sustainable?  Or do you really care!!




No comments:

Post a Comment